A product designer who can code, based in Edinburgh.
My ideal work day is spent creating and developing projects which deliver excellent usability as well as providing an interesting, thoughtful experience and retaining a clean and fresh aesthetic.
I’ve worked on a wide range of projects that have included technical products, ecommerce platforms, internal systems, marketing portfolios and resource heavy hubs for organisations - there has always been a strong focus on usability for both administrators and users whilst allowing complex backend dynamics to provide unique and enjoyable experiences.
A natural self-starter, I have a robust client and product focus with a flexible approach to design and discussion. I work hard to ensure my visual work has immediate and appropriate impact.
I have a very strong work ethic and am happiest when busy but for relaxation I enjoy cycling, cooking, skateboarding (which I recently decided to try out) and the odd computer game.
- Creative Technologist at Buildit working both on and offsite with clients helping to solve hard problems and deliver world class products.
- Product Designer at MagLabs working on multiple web apps and products for a broad range of clients
- Product Designer at GeckoLabs building a SAAS app with dedicated developers
- UI Designer at RightScale within a small but global Product team
- Senior Designer at Lennon Design on numerous print and digital campaigns
- Set up and worked as a freelance graphic and web designer working on identity, digital and print across a wide range of clients as superallan
- Graduated from Gray's School of Art in 2010 BDes Graphic Design.
Skills & Tools
- Focused on usability, beauty and interaction within digital design
- Expertise in front end code and building scaleable design systems
- VSCode, Firefox and StackOverflow
- Sketch, Illustrator and InDesign
- Thrive on open discussion and constructive criticism.
As part of cross functional teams staffed with client, contracted and offshore members, Buildit help solve hard problems with world class expertise.
My role consists of a mixture of design, product and development work.
- Design system thinking, prototyping as well as stakeholder management
- Client reviews and buy-in across multiple levels
- Collaboarating with various departments of a client's business to help provide a clear and precise direction of travel
- Strategic approach to development of new features and products.
With an office in Edinburgh and London, MagLabs provide bespoke digital asset management solutions for media and packaging companies around the world, alongside a SAAS equivalent that is more generic and aimed at a broader range of clients. My role as the sole designer allows me to work as part of multiple teams of developers, account managers and product managers and I’m responsible for all user experience and interface decisions.
Some of my main tasks included:
- Developing features and ideas within the business whilst listening to and understanding the user requirements
- Create and manage consistent user interfaces and patterns within the multiple apps
- Meet clients face-to-face to understand and empathise with their problems and create solutions that look beyond the initial issue
- Work in partnership with product managers and senior developers to plan and manage workload across the teams to produce consistently high quality features.
Located in Edinburgh City Centre, GeckoLabs build recruitment and data capture services for the higher education sector including web, desktop and mobile apps for a number of use cases. As the sole designer in this organisation I am required to understand and implement existing roadmapped features as well as designing and writing specificiations that provide solutions.
Some of the main responsibilities of this role include:
- Bring a consistent and clean aesthetic to the app across platforms for both recruiters and potential students
- Help users understand the context of the information in a number of situations - from audio calls to event curation
- Interpreting client requests to create features that are both intuitive and powerful
- Allowing users to perform complex operations with large amounts of data without being overwhelmed.
Based in CodeBase, Edinburgh and working with a global team of engineering, sales and marketing staff I was initially charged with the UI design for one of the three products that RightScale creates.
As time progressed I was tasked with designing a new app to fit within the ecosystem. This needed to include the basic design templates that we had evolved towards so that the existing customers would be comfortable using it.
I also led the charge to improve the existing UI in becoming more modern and to have a less archaic aesthetic.
- Crafted production ready code and design
- Spearheaded a redesign of an app with over 8 years of legacy
- Key member of the team working on the RightScale style guide
- Worked across global timezones with multiple departments
- Large and sprawling codebases were refactored under my initiative to help improve the build and release process.
Working at this compact agency I created, developed and produced numerous print and digital projects as well as delivering training and facilitating feedback sessions with clients and customers.
Some key projects are listed below:
- Sacro . Designed and built the digital hub for an organisation working towards creating safer and more cohesive communities across Scotland. Worked through the project starting with the initial structural planning, production of visuals to building a fully responsive development site. Presented to multiple strategic boards within the organisation and adapted the site based on feedback and discussion. The finished site has a robust navigation that works well across all platforms and provides a quick, clean and understandable experience for a variety of demographics.
- Pilton Community Health Project . Working with the project’s various teams and departments I planned and built a new platform for the organisation to publish resources, events, updates and information for their service users. The fully responsive design is fresh, bright and colourful which reflects both the ethos and the mission of the organisation whilst being fast to load and quick to respond to user input.
- FrinGeo . Working with a developer I designed, branded, marketed and built an HTML5 platform agnostic mobile app that used publicly available data to show the three nearest Edinburgh Free Fringe shows to the users location using their smartphones GPS.
After graduating into a massive economic black hole the only sensible thing for me to do was to set up as a freelance designer.
As superallan I worked on digital, branding and print campaigns for various smaller clients as well as helping them develop marketing strategies to support their business.